Track your Bonsai tree collection on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch!
Bonsai Album (盆栽アルバム) makes keeping track of your Bonsai or Penjing collection easy. Track development of your trees throughout their lives, on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch!
Want to track Bonsai on your Mac? Sign-up here to be notified when Bonsai Album for Mac lands on the Mac App Store.
Whether you’re new to Bonsai, a collector, or a dealer, Bonsai Album is the ideal tool for organizing your trees, pots, and notes.
Here’s what you can do with Bonsai Album:
- Record details about your trees, including age, source, style, species, and dimensions.
- Select from over 200 species names (with common and botanical names), or add new species.
- Store pot details, along with photos.
- Track styling, fertilizing, and other events for every tree and pot in dated log entries.
- Create and edit log entry reminders linked to your calendar.
- Add multiple photos per tree, pot, and log entry.
- Add text captions for each photo.
- Select photos to appear on the main thumbnail display for each tree or pot.
- Scroll through photos in a full-screen gallery view, or in thumbnail form.
- View your bonsai and pot collections in table form, or by image.
- View the log history for each tree or pot, sorted by date.
- Review statistics for your collection.
- Protect your data with a passcode lock.
- iOS4 multitasking and Retina graphics support.
- Database backup, restore, import and export over WiFi to your computer’s web browser.
- Transfer the complete database between devices (iPad / iPhone / iPod) over WiFi via Bonsai Album BDBI-format support.
- CSV format support to import/export your Bonsai Album database to and from desktop spreadsheet applications.
- Bonsai Report export feature. View your bonsai and pot collection on your computer’s web browser. Great for keeping track of your collection for inventory or insurance purposes.
- iPad support at no extra charge!
Please note that Bonsai Album does not come preloaded with any photos, nor does it include any bonsai care information and so forth. It only tracks information and displays photos you’ve added yourself.
There have been some concerns about the limited number of photo slots available for each tree. To add more than 2 photos per tree on the iPhone / iPod, or more than 5 on the iPad, tap the Photos button in the top-right of the Info screen for the Bonsai you’d like to inspect. Note that this button will only appear after you have saved the Bonsai for the first time. The Photos screen will allow you to add as many photos for the Bonsai (or Pot, or Log) as you wish – you’re only limited by the free space available on your device! Note that the free (Lite) version of Bonsai Album is still limited to 3 photos per Bonsai, Pot, and Log. For further details on this and other questions, consult the Frequently Asked Questions page, or email me at .
Bonsai Album will soon be coming to the Mac! Learn more…
What’s new in the version 1.9 update:
- The database can now be transferred directly from Bonsai Album Lite to the full version
- Renamed the Bonsai Album DB format to BDBI and added a BDBI file-type association
- Transfer the complete database between devices (iPad / iPhone / iPod) over WiFi via Bonsai Album BDBI-format support
- Bug fixes
- Fixed purchase price truncation bug
- Added button to view pot information on the Bonsai Info screen
- Added buttons to view bonsai and pot information on the Log Info screen
- Bug fixes
Note: This update requires iOS 4.3 or higher!
- Added iOS 6 support
- Support for new high-resolution iPhone 5 and iPod touch displays
- Greatly improved app startup time with large databases. The app will take longer to start the first time after updating to this version, but will start faster thereafter. This is due to the database upgrade
- Added Portuguese localization
- Improved German localization of bonsai terms
- Updated German CSV template
- Improved data saving behavior
- Fixed non-Retina iPad tab bar texture
- Added database integrity check and repair of database corruption
- Prevent automatic screen-locking during database transfer over WiFi
- Added iTunes File Sharing support
- Bug fixes
- Added French localization
- Added German localization
- Existing Species and Events can now be edited
- Added Japanese localization
- Added Italian localization
- Added Spanish localization
- Added page breaks to Bonsai Report to prevent page overruns when printing
- Bug fixes
- Updated icon and other graphics for the new iPad Retina display
- Increased resolution of photo thumbnails (does not affect existing thumbnails)
- Added Bonsai Report export feature. View your bonsai and pot collection on your computer’s web browser. Great for keeping track of your collection for inventory or insurance purposes
- Added Log reminder feature. Highlights log entries due and allows them to be added to (or edited on) the device calendar
- Added Reminders Due statistic
- Improved scrolling performance with photo grids
- User interface improvements
- Added iPad camera support
- Bug fixes
- Fixed EXIF orientation handling when saving photos
- Fixed progress pop-up view orientation bug
- Fixed tab bar textures on iOS 5.0
- Fixed data form alignment on iPad
- Bug fixes for iOS 5.0
- Fixed problem with pot to bonsai mapping when importing a database
Send me an email at if you have any questions, to request features, or report any issues. Check the Bonsai Album Frequently Asked Questions page for quick answers to commonly asked questions.
Join the Facebook page to discuss Bonsai Album with other fans.